VNP in the Hohe Tauern Mountains
The private commitment of the association laid, among other things, the foundations for today’s Hohe Tauern National Park. With the international recognition of the National Park by IUCN in 2006, the goal of large-scale, legally binding nature conservation was achieved.
Knowing that it is in good hands with the National Park, we sold our land to the Salzburg National Park Fund in June 2016.
In 2013, the chronicle of the 100-year commitment of the VNP in the Hohe Tauern was published.
Private commitment to nature conservation in the Hohe Tauern mountains
|6th July 1913||The board of the VNP passes a resolution to purchase land (1,008 ha) in the Großglockner area.|
|1937||A further 13 ha are purchased.
|1940||The Deutsche Reichsbahn builds a power station in the Stubach Valley. Areas in the Upper and Lower Sulzbach Valleys are exchanged for the lost land.|
|1962||2.51 ha are sold in the Felbertal valley.|
|1983||The National Park Act is announced. The VNP-owned areas are located in the core zone.|
|1999||Signing of a purchase and exchange agreement with the Austrian Federal Forests|
|2005||Completion of an agreement with the Hohe Tauern National Park within the framework of "contractual nature conservation"|
|2006||International recognition of the Hohe Tauern National Park by the IUCN|
|2010||The association property is transferred to the VNP Foundation.|
|2016||Die VNP Stiftung Naturschutzpark sells 2,960 ha to the Salzburg National Park Fund.|
The private commitment of the Verein Naturschutzpark e.V. laid the foundation for today’s Hohe Tauern National Park, among other things.
For more than 100 years, the VNP and its staff and members have worked tirelessly to bring the national park idea to fruition in the Hohe Tauern. With the international recognition of the national park by the IUCN in 2006, the goal of large-scale, legally established nature conservation has been achieved.