For more than 100 years the association "Verein Naturschutzpark e.V." respectively the foundation owned areas of Hohen Tauern.
In 1913, VNP purchased its first district in Stubachtal and Felbertal supported by Salzburg's member of parliament Dr. August Prinzinger. Later this district was swapped agains areas in the Valleys of Sulzbach close to Neukirchen am Großvenediger.
The private involvemnet and dedication of the association laid the foundation of todays Nationalpark Hohe Tauern. In 2006 the IUCN approved the Nationalpark internationally, so the target of large scale, regularized nature conservation was reached. Knowing that our areas are in good hands being integrated into the Nationalpark, we sold our district in June 2016 to the Salzburg's Nationalpark Trust.
06.07.1913 Executive committee of VNP for acquiring the area (1.008 ha) at Großglockner mountain.
1937 Another 13 ha were purchased
1940 In Stubachtal the German Reichsbahn built a power plant. Lost areas are changed with areas in Ober- and Untersulzbachtal.
1962 In Felbertal another 2,51 ha were purchased.
1983 Offical statement of the nationalpark law. The VNP owned areas are located in the core area.
1999 Signing of the acquisition and barter agreement with Austrians Bundesforst
2005 Conclusion of an agreement mit Nationalpark Hohe Tauern in frame of Conservation Easement
2006 International approval of Nationalpark Hohe Tauern by IUCN
2010 Assets of association is transfered to foundation
2016 Foundation VNP Stiftung Naturschutzpark sells 2.960 ha to "Salzburger Nationalparkfonds".
The private involvement of the association "Vereins Naturschutzpark e.V." was one of the foundation stones for todays Nationalpark Hohe Tauern. Over 100 years work was done by VNP with its employees and members to realise the idea of a nationalpark in the Hohe Tauern. With the international approval of the Nationalpark by the IUCN in 2006 the target of large scale nature conservation being enshrined in law was reached.